CONSULTANCY OPPORTUNITY: Market engagement and projects
CONSULTANCY OPPORTUNITY: Market engagement and projects
Under direction of: Director – South Asia
Department: Regions – Asia Pacific
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Commitment: 110 days (August 15, 2021 to August 14, 2022)
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization working to build a future in which nature is protected and biodiversity flourishes, where farmers, workers, and communities prosper, and where sustainable land use and responsible business practices are the norm. We envision a world where people and nature thrive in harmony. In January 2018, the Rainforest Alliance merged with UTZ, a global program and label for sustainable farming. For more information, please visit http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/about.
In Sri Lanka and South Asia, Rainforest Alliance has adapted an integrated intervention strategy to protect nature and improve the lives of farmers and forest communities. Our work in the region focuses on various sustainability challenges and initiated many strategies for high-value agriculture such as, 'Regenerative and Climate-Smart Agriculture. We train farmers in climate-smart agriculture methods, helping them to adapt to current climate impacts and prepare for future challenges. All our work focuses on protecting forests and land in ways that strengthen local livelihoods.
The Consultant will support the growth of Rainforest Alliance’s sustainable agriculture activities in Sri Lanka in three areas: stakeholder engagement and relations; market engagement and growth strategies; and project management (ongoing field-level, as well as potential market-linked projects). The consultant will coordinate work planning and prioritization with the Markets Manager, South Asia (based in Delhi) and work in coordination with the Technical Consultant, Sri Lanka (based in Colombo) for supervising and reporting implementation of ongoing projects.
Support the local team and supervise Rainforest Alliance’s existing projects in Sri Lanka by closely monitoring and reporting the project deliverables. The consultant supports building strong stakeholder relationships in the region and helps strategize tea and spices market engagements in the country. Jointly with the global teams of Rainforest Alliance, the consultant provides market insights and identify potential opportunities for deeper engagements in Rainforest Alliance’s certification domain to support corporate engagement in promoting sustainable agriculture practices, especially for the smallholder tea sector.
3.0 Scope of work:
3.1 Project management activities of the consultant relate to supporting and supervising existing project work plans of RA in Sri Lanka. To undertake this role, the candidate takes ownership of the following responsibilities:
- Oversee the planning and implementation of ongoing projects in the field, identify and recommend partners and consultants where required and coordinating with RA’s Technical Consultant, Sri Lanka and South Asia team;
- Play key role in ensuring quality of weekly updates, proposal and grants tracking system and ensuring that grant records are kept up to date;
- Conduct pre-monitoring visits to assess the suitability of proposed projects and conduct assessments of partners.
- Conduct monitoring visits to assess the effectiveness of projects and their financial progress, assist in quarterly updates of project performance in RA’s system, provide recommendations and find solutions where there are problems in implementation.
- Support the Director-South Asia to identify resources and needs required to further expand the Tea and Spice program in Sri Lanka.
3.2 Market engagement activities of the consultant relate to presenting the business rationale and increasing demand for crops sourced from Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farms and packed using the Rainforest Alliance Certified seal. The Consultant will liaise with the Markets Manager, South Asia and other RA colleagues to progress these activities. Specifically, the consultant will:
- Support the Markets Transformation team and the Sector Lead – Tea in their work to build out and deliver clear sector plans relevant to Sri Lanka and specifically to the tea sector.
- Support the South Asia Director and the Key Accounts Manager - Tea to identify and deliver market opportunities with global, regional and local accounts present in Sri Lanka.
- Support the Key Markets and the South Asia Regional team in their work to build out and deliver markets plans for the Sri Lanka market(s).
- Where appropriate, contribute to the Markets Transformation team cross-functional working groups to deliver on sector plans.
- Where appropriate, contribute to the Markets Transformation team multi-stakeholder platforms to deliver on sector plans.
- Identify company prospects interested in purchasing crops from Rainforest Alliance Certified farms in Sri Lanka;
- Maintain productive relationships with companies with which RA is already working with in Sri Lanka;
- Present the benefits of purchasing of products from Rainforest Alliance Certified farm and the use of the certified seal to key management, sales and marketing teams and other stakeholders, enabling an increase in industry knowledge of and commitments to Rainforest Alliance certified;
- Develop new channels for the sale and distribution of products sourced from Rainforest Alliance Certified farms, enabling new markets to be accessed, e.g. local Sri Lanka brands, value-added export brands in Sri Lanka;
- Promote and support the increased profile and perceived value of the Rainforest Alliance brand across markets-relevant stakeholders, including packer associations and industry boards;
- Contribute to the Markets team’s strategic market planning and volume forecasting process for Sri Lanka;
- Promote and ensure the compliance of companies with Rainforest Alliance’s policies and procedures and protocols regarding use of seal, traceability, chain of custody and Marketplace and other systems registration;
- Build knowledge of the value of the Rainforest Alliance standards and certification system amongst companies;
3.3 Stakeholder engagement: The consultant will build and maintain relationships with Rainforest Alliance market partners and other relevant parties including external stakeholders to promote Rainforest Alliance Certified products and to contribute to the growth and reputation of Rainforest Alliance’s work. The consultant will represent the Rainforest Alliance in appropriate events and platforms in India and support organizing logistical support and host visits by companies, journalists and other stakeholders. These parties include, but are not restricted to Rainforest Alliance personnel, other Rainforest Alliance consultants, producers, supply chain actors, unions, universities, consumer good companies, retailers, Sri Lanka “value added” businesses, Sri Lanka government-backed industry boards, e.g. Sri Lanka Tea Board, Industry groups, e.g.: packer and producer associations, principle sales channels for certified products, e.g. auctions and the media e.g. business, consumer and lifestyle.
5.0 Selection Criteria
Following demonstrated skills and knowledge are required:
- Have relevant studies in Marketing, Business Administration, Agronomics.
- Have at least 10 years’ relevant experience of working in project management, market development and sound understanding of existing market potential of key crops in the Sri Lanka.
- Understanding the quality of produce as market requirement, supply chain requirements and experienced in promoting business to key corporates.
- Proven ability and experience to work in field at project site.
- Ability to work efficiently under tight deadlines and provide quality reports with sound writing skills.
- Knowledge of local markets in Rainforest Alliance certified commodities.
- Eligibility to work in Sri Lanka
- English and local language proficiency is must.
Selection of the consultant is based on the following criteria:
- Relevant Studies/Education 20%
- Relevant Technical expertise 70%
- Availability 10%
6.0 Proposal Process and Format
Please send the following documentation no later than August 15, 2021. Use the following format in the subject line: “Consultant Markets and Projects – Sri Lanka”
Proposals should include:
- Daily rate in LKR; include basis for costing i.e. previous rates
- List of previous engagements that addresses the above experience desired
- Current C.V.
- Contact details (email and phone number) of 2 recent references