Development of training material & training of trainers on gender awareness & gender sensitive audit
Terms of Reference
Development of training material and training of trainers on gender awareness and gender sensitive auditing
The Rainforest Alliance’s (RA) new Sustainable Agriculture Standard (SAS) provides a framework for sustainable agriculture that integrates both social and environmental aspects. It supports certificate holders to maximize the positive social, environmental, and economic impact of agriculture while at the same time improving farmers’ livelihoods and protecting the landscapes where they live and work. Within that framework, we expect certificate holders to promote gender equality and introduce systems that support vulnerable groups like women and migrants to strengthen their rights and prevent violations from happening. We call this the assess-and-address system. At the same time, we expect auditors to be able to audit the environmental and social requirements as well as to conduct their audits in a gender sensitive and inclusive way. This implies that auditors are free of gender and other social prejudices and that they enable active and safe participation of women, migrants, and other vulnerable groups during audits to make sure their opinions are considered.
2. THE ASSIGNMENT
Feedback from the field indicated that there is a need to strengthen auditors’ gender awareness and their skills to audit in a socially responsible way. The Rainforest Alliance seeks a consultant to strengthen the capacity of auditors concerning social auditing skills and gender awareness to be able to conduct better gender-sensitive auditing for the Rainforest Alliance (RA) 2020 Standard.
This consultancy aims to:
- Develop training-of-trainers training material on gender awareness and gender-sensitive auditing for a face-to-face (F2F) training session.
- Train Rainforest Alliance Lead Trainers on gender awareness and gender-sensitive auditing.
The training-of-trainers training material is meant for RA Lead Trainers, who will then train CB instructors or other audit team members playing a role in social auditing. The training should cover the basics of gender-sensitive auditing and offer a safe space where auditors can practice new, more gender-sensitive behavior.
- understand the basic concepts of gender-sensitive auditing,
- know how to identify their own gender bias,
- know and have access to practical tools that will support gender-sensitive audits.
Proposed training modules and topics
Please note that Consultants are free to propose a different structure
- Module 1: Unconscious bias
- What is unconscious bias
- How unconscious bias can influence the audit?
- How to identify and mitigate unconscious bias?
- How to recognize gender bias?
- Module 2: Conducting a gender-sensitive audit
- What is gender-sensitive auditing & why is it important?
- How to integrate a gender-sensitive perspective into the audit?
- How to conduct gender-sensitive worker interviews and interviewing techniques?
- Module 3: How to manage your own bias and create a gender-sensitive interview & audit
- What is gender sensitivity and what does it entail for an auditor?
- What is your own gender bias and how can they influence the audit?
- What are examples of gender-biased behavior of auditors and how could this behavior be different?
- What role can the lead auditor for social topics play to create a gender-sensitive audit, and what tools are available for that?
3. Approach and activities
The process will consist of several phases:
- Kick-off meeting between RA and consultant(s).
- The consultant(s) will agree with RA on the scope and structure of the training modules.
- The consultant(s) elaborate on the training modules on gender awareness and gender-sensitive auditing.
- RA will provide feedback on the modules and the consultant(s) will process it into an updated version.
- The consultant(s) will train (in a face-to-face and/or online session) selected RA lead trainers, who will implement the training and give feedback to the consultant(s).
- Based on the feedback and other sources, the consultant(s) will improve the module.
4. Scope and Key Deliverables
- Training-of-trainers module for face-to-face training on gender awareness and gender-sensitive auditing validated in the field, including at least:
- Needs assessment questions
- Preparation work
- Training objectives (SMART)
- Trainer and participant agenda
- Facilitation manual (including each step, methodologies, and duration)
- Training material
- Exercises (including answers and their explanation)
- Exam to measure the learnings
- Conduct the training-of-trainers session for RA Lead Trainers on the gender awareness and gender-sensitive auditing module (either face-to-face or online, depending on deadlines and team’s travel restrictions).
- Obtain and process feedback into an updated training module
The training modules characteristics:
- Developed in line with the Rainforest Alliance certification program, gender guidance document tone of voice and terminology
- Practical and accessible
- Highly participatory
- Include practical case studies and examples from the field
5. ROLE AND COORDINATION
The consultant(s) will work in close coordination with the assigned staff from both the Standard and Assurance (S&A) and the Themes Departments. RA staff will provide the consultant(s) with the available existing training material and the necessary background information.
6. DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
The assignment will start as soon as possible and finalize on the 29th of July 2022, with a duration of a total of 7 days during the period of the contract as specified below.
7. CONSULTANCY REPORTING
The consultancy can be based globally. The consultant(s) needs to report to the assigned person from the S&A and the Themes department.
- Strong background in auditing agricultural standards, preferably with good knowledge of the Rainforest Alliance's new Sustainable Agricultural Standard,
- Strong knowledge of social auditing practices,
- Experienced on the topic of gender (project, academic, training) with good knowledge of related terminology
- Good, didactically skills,
- Experience with adult learning methods,
- Experience in developing participatory training material on social topics, including gender
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written
9. Application and selection process
Deadline for applying: 30th of May 2022 by email to Lennie van Dooren LvanDooren@ra.org with a copy to Cintia Rivera email@example.com and Joky Francois JFrancois@ra.org. Proposals received after the submission deadline will not be taken into consideration. The subject heading of the email shall be “Training Gender-Sensitive Auditing [Proposer Name]”.
Applicants should submit the following documents:
- Daily rate in US dollars indicating the total number of days estimated for each deliverable.
- Total budget in US-dollar.
- Curriculum Vitae, no more than 4 pages. If multiple persons would be working on this assignment, indicate the composition of the team, including their roles and responsibilities.
- Confirmation of availability from May 2022 until the end of July 2022 to meet the mentioned deadlines.
- A proposal of a maximum of 5 pages describing your approach and methods for this consultancy.
- Examples of previous training material on auditing social topics or any other relevant work previously commissioned, max 3 items.
Rainforest Alliance reserves the right to terminate the procurement process at any time before contract award.